Western NC Genealogy Resource Center
for Henderson County
Henderson was formed in l838 from Buncombe. It was name in honor of Leonard Henderson, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of North Carolina. It is in the western section of the State and is bounded by the state of South Carolina and Transylvania, Haywood, Buncombe, McDowell, Rutherford and Polk counties. The present land area is 373.88 square miles and the population was 69,326. The first court was to be held at the home of Hugh Johnston, at which time the justices were to decide on a place for future courts until a courthouse was erected. Commissioners were named to acquire land, lay out a town, and erect a courthouse. This town was to be named Hendersonville. The commissioners selected a site which is now called Horse Shoe, but much dissatisfaction developed over the selection and two factions arose, one called the River party and the other the Road party. The River party favored the Horse Shoe site. In 1839 the Road party enjoined the sale of lots of the site selected at Horse Shoe and the controversy soon became so heated that the Legislature ordered an election to be held to determine the location by popular vote. The Road party was successful. In 1840 Hendersonville was laid out on land deeded by Michael King of Charleston, South Carolina, for that purpose. Hendersonville is the county seat.
Henderson County Genealogical and Historical Society
P.O. Box 2616
400 North Main Street
Hendersonville, NC 28793-2616
NOTE: The information on this page is copyrighted, and must not be used for any commercial purposes or reproduced in any form (printed, electronic, or otherwise) without prior permission. The content herein is copyrighted, except where previous copyright applies.
Products such as textual material, electronic and multimedia resources and materials created, authored and/or prepared by Diane Miller and / or Golden Branches are copyrighted in content, presentation and intellectual, creative origin. These electronically available materials are considered intellectual property and intended for use for educational, academic and research purposes and are not intended for commercial sale. Electronic versions of images, and all other graphical material, animation and digital renditions of video material are protected by copyright as intellectual property unless noted otherwise.
© 1996 - 2010