Western NC Genealogy Resource Center
for Transylvania County

About Transylvania County

Transylvania was formed in 1861 from Henderson and Jackson. It's name is derived from the Latin words, trans meaning "across" and sylva meaning "woods." It is in the western section of the State and is bounded by the State of South Carolina and Jackson, Haywood and Henderson counties. The present land area is 377.52 square miles and the population in 1990 was 25,520. The first court was to be held at the home of B. C. Langford. Commissioners were named to select a site for the public buildings within five miles of W. P. Poor's store and to acquire land and lay out Brevard. Brevard is the county seat.

Transylvania County Resources:

Offsite Resources:


NOTE: The information on this page is copyrighted, and must not be used for any commercial purposes or reproduced in any form (printed, electronic, or otherwise) without prior permission. The content herein is copyrighted, except where previous copyright applies.

Products such as textual material, electronic and multimedia resources and materials created, authored and/or prepared by Diane Miller and / or Golden Branches are copyrighted in content, presentation and intellectual, creative origin. These electronically available materials are considered intellectual property and intended for use for educational, academic and research purposes and are not intended for commercial sale. Electronic versions of images, and all other graphical material, animation and digital renditions of video material are protected by copyright as intellectual property unless noted otherwise.



Back to Western NC Genealogy Resource Center







© 2003-2010
Golden Branches